Highlights of the Club's history

Year   until
1899 Club founded with about 300 members and rooms at 47 Leicester Square with residential quarters 1914
  Joseph Joachim as first President (d.1907) 1907
1900 First concert
1907 Arthur James Balfour as President (d.1930) 1930
1914 Club moves to 6 Bedford Square 1940
1921 500th concert
1930 Sir William Henry Hadow as President (d.1937) 1937
1937 Edward Dent as President (d.1957) 1957
1938 Ladies admitted as Associate Members; Miss Catherine Joseph becomes the first lady performer.
1940 Club suspended and premises in Bedford Square sold
1948 First concert after the suspension  
1951 Club formally reconstituted  
1956 First opera performed  
1957 1000th concert
1958 First Gala Concert with participants from both University Clubs
1959 First meeting at University College Joint Staff Common Room
1964 Membership open to all
1970 Sir Lennox Berkeley as President (d.1989) 1989
1973 First Club Composers concert
1974 75th Anniversary celebrations featuring a Diamond Jubilee Concert, a Gala Concert, a Serenade concert and a 75th Anniversary Concert.
1979 History of the Club edited by Graham Thorne
1989 Sir Neville Marriner as President 2015
1999 Centenary Year including a public concert at St John’s Smith Square
2000 First website
2009 2000th concert
2014 Concert at 6 Bedford Square to commemorate anniversary of move, with exhibition of memorabilia
  New website
2015 Sir Richard Armstrong as President   --